November 30, 2020 at 7:33 am

Rome, 12 November 2020 – In October, Italian electricity consumption increased compared to the previous month

By Sandesh Ilhe

The IMCEI index still signifies gradual recovery for major industrial customers: positive data from the steel and construction material sectors Growth in wind, hydroelectric and photovoltaic production: renewables covered 37% of monthly demand and 39% of the first ten months of the year (compared to 35% in 2019).

Rome, 12 November 2020 – In October, Italian electricity consumption increased compared to the previous month, despite the profound uncertainty fuelled by the social dynamics driven by COVID-

19. Terna, the company that manages Italy’s high and extra-high-voltage electricity grid, has recorded a value for electricity demand which, when adjusted for seasonal, calendar and temperature effects, reveals an improvement (+0.4%) on September 2020. The value for October 2020 is essentially in line (-0.8%) with the 26.4 billion kWh from October 2019 and, adjusted for calendar and temperature effects, variation is -0.6%. Renewable sources covered 37% of the demand, compared to 28.8% in October last year. The consumption sample of industrial clients monitored by Terna, while recording a slight decrease compared to October last year, still appears to be recovering compared to previous months: short-term variation in October compared to September was +1.4%.

In October 2020, 84.2% of electricity demand was met by national production and the remainder (15.8%) by the balance of electricity exchanged with foreign countries. More specifically, net national production (22.3 billion kWh) dropped by 2.8% compared to October 2019. Wind (+56.6%), hydroelectric (+48.9%) and photovoltaic (+9.8%) energy production show strong growth. Geothermal production (-1%) and thermal production (-16.9%) decreased.

At the regional level, in October 2020 there was an increase in the North (-1.2%) and in the South (-0.3%) while Central Italy remained stable.

Terna’s IMCEI index – which directly examines and monitors the industrial consumption of about 530 large energy consumers connected to the Italian electricity transmission grid (large industries in the following industries: cement, lime and gypsum, steel, chemical, mechanical, transportation, food, paper, ceramics and glass and non-ferrous metals) – while recording a decrease (-0.7%) compared to October last year, still appears to be gradually recovering compared to previous months. The recovery has been driven mainly by the steel (+0.9) and construction materials (+5.9%) sectors, although the overall figure was negatively affected by the transport (-6.6%) and chemical (-5.8%) sectors. Furthermore, this month and for the first time ever, Terna added a

further detail to the IMCEI index, analysing so-calledpure customers (those who only withdraw from the grid) and self-producers separately. In this case, the value recorded for pure customers was essentially unchanged (-0.1%) while the value for self-producers, which there are less of, was -3.9%.

In the first 10 months of 2020, electricity demand was still down compared to the same period of 2019 (-6.2%, also in adjusted terms). From January to October renewable sources covered 39% of electricity demand (35% in 2019).

A detailed analysis of provisional 2020 monthly electricity demand is available in the publication “Monthly Report on the Electricity System”, under the section “Electric System >> Dispatching >> Operating Data” at www.terna.it.

Real-time data on the operation of the national electricity system can also be found on the Terna app, available on all app stores.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=it.terna.energia&hl=it

https://apps.apple.com/it/app/terna/id1458535498

This is an excerpt of the original content. To continue reading it, access the original document here.

Attachments

  • Original document
  • Permalink

Disclaimer

Terna Rete Elettrica Nazionale S.p.A. published this content on 12 November 2020 and is solely responsible for the information contained therein. Distributed by Public, unedited and unaltered, on 12 November 2020 14:48:06 UTC



Sandesh Ilhe

With an Engineers degree in Advanced Database Management and Information Security, Sandesh brings the deep understanding of the digital world to the table. His articles reflect the challenges and the complexities that come along with every disruption in the industry. He carries over six years of experience on working with websites and ensuring that the right article reaches the right reader.

© 2021 Smart Energy and Power News. All Rights Reserved.